Jayalaxmi Damle – Sneha Shikshana Samsthe, Sullia, Dakshina Kannada
Sneha Shikshana Samsthe, located at Sullia along the belt of the scenic Malnad region was established in 1996 and has grown over the years giving quality education at primary and high school levels, says Jayalaxmi Damle, Principal.
The school is for education in regional language at foundation level as it believes that learning becomes complacent and effective in Kannada. The school also teaches English as its language in one period each day. The school lays stress on converting the information to knowledge. It does not believe in rote learning.
Vision and mission
· Personality development at all levels with rational human values, developing patriotism and respecting culture
· Providing personal attention to each child
· Skills training using human resource development programs
· Yoga, physical exercises and pranayama
· Cultivating artistic talents like karate, painting, yakshagana, music, drawing, dance and painting
· Offering teaching aids along with self-preparation for learning
· Arranging tours and excursions to explore the outside world
Developing fields of interest
· Learning through understanding to help explore their potentials
· Equal importance to all arts and education
· Teaching to be eco-friendly and to use herbal medicines available in the school
· Helping to identify many plants and uses
· Encouraging to participate in literary club, Eco club, debate club, students’ council and to conduct the programs themselves
· Realize the values of cleanliness in and around the campus and class rooms
Improving communication skills
· Communication skills play a major role in children’s lives and to develop that, the school conducts interactive sessions to discuss lessons and general topics.
· Students are encouraged to participate in inter-school competitions in debate, quiz, speeches etc.
· To inculcate moral values, Ramayana and Mahabharata are taught and exams conducted
Usage of technology
· School has audio-visual learning centre, equipment such as laptop, projector and educative CDs.
· Students learn PPT and CDS and one period every week is allotted for audio-visual program
· Teachers encouraged to use PPTs to explain lessons and use computers to type out question papers
· They make Google search for the relevant topics
· No cut and paste from Wikipedia is allowed
Identifying teachers with commitment, efforts and discipline is quite a challenge for schools and Sneha Shikshana Samsthe makes teachers understand the vision of the school at the time of appointment. We suggest them more than covering the portions discovering the lessons is important. Our school president trains our teachers to be facilitators to the students rather than imposing personalities. With students from various backgrounds, teachers have a great challenge on their hands. The school and the teachers have been successful so far.
Performance of the school
· Jayalaxmi Damle points out that the feedback the school gets from the senior students has been very encouraging.
· Students are well-known for their dignified behaviour and very interactive with high level of English compared to even students from English medium schools
· Students are trained in co-curricular activities after school hours.
· No special classes are conducted and every day on the lessons completed questions are asked. Students have to meet the teachers in the staff room before school starts.
· Training in perfection in spelling is given and emphasis on writing skills and reading skills is laid
· Learning by thinking and understanding is stressed upon
Challenges and remedies
· Running an unaided Kannada medium school when many people go to English medium schools is a big challenge.
· Getting enough resources is another challenge as students are not from well-to-do families
· Encouraging students from lower strata of society to learn
· Unnecessary rules from educational department is yet another challenge
· Providing information on same issues is difficult to manage
· Retaining efficient teachers is tough as everybody wants better placement
Achievements of the school
· Jayalaxmi Damle says 100% result in SSLC for the last 10 years is a major achievement.
· Children’s literary work “Ankura” with “poems, stories, short stories, drawing, interviews, etc” has got first prize for 14 years at various district levels.
· Students have varied interests
· Many leading personalities have been the alumni of the school
For more information, please visit: http://www.snehaschool.in/
Contact details: Sneha Shilaa, Gandhinagara Post,
Sullia-574239, Dakshina Kannada,
Karnataka. Email: email@example.com
Ph: 08257231262, +91-9945506045