Dr. Lavanya Mithran – Bishop Cotton Girls’ School, Bengaluru
Bishop Cotton Girls’ School, located in Bengaluru, Karnataka, works towards empowerment of girls, gender equality and achieving greater heights of excellence. The school teaches students not only academics but also to assess the society and emerge as confident young women. The school was established in 1865 and has Dr. Lavanya Mithran at the helm as the Principal of the institution.
Dr. Lavanya Mithran has been associated with the school since 2015 and focuses on the security of the girl students. She ensures that they have all the liberty to explore many aspects of life apart from studies in a holistic atmosphere.
· Debates, dramatics, cookery competitions, MUN competitions, singing competitions
· Inter-house drama competitions to expose the hidden talents
· Costume designing and props to help students get admission in prestigious institutes
· Sports like basketball, hockey, martial arts, and swimming apart from tennis and football
· Home science as elective subject for X and XII board exams to kindle interest in culinary art
· Nurturing public speaking skills right from kindergarten level
· Rhyme time activity for the 4 year olds who recite poems and learn the art of speaking confidently.
· Inter House Elocution and Verse Speaking to hone the skills
· Importance on pronunciation and voice modulation
· The classroom also serves as a forum for students as they participate in interactive sessions and group discussions.
· Participation in Inter-school and national level debates
· The All India Anglo Indian Frank Anthony Memorial Debate competition, Vox Populi – The Debating Phenomenon and the Bhatia Shield organized by the Rashtriya Military School are other competitions that attract participation.
Implementation of technology
· With world economy fully depending on technology, it plays a vital role in school management system.
· Online admissions, generating report cards, paying fees online – different aspects of technology being used.
· Computer science taught right from class 1
· Computer laboratories, smart board class rooms, and resource centre for staff
Talking about the performance of Bishop Cotton Girls’ School, Lavanya Mithran says that the popularity of the school among the public is testimony to the progress the school has made. The school has been adjudged “The Best Girls’ Day School” by a leading national magazine, Education Today. She says that with 4000 students on roll and girls passing out with flying colours is highly gratifying. Steps are taken at all levels to assist students in their educational pursuits. Slow learners are identified and school counsellors, parents, and teachers join hands to deal with the learning disabilities. Students are encouraged to approach the counsellor and discuss various issues ranging from learning difficulties to emotional issues.
With the advent of internet and technology, it is challenging for teachers to keep abreast of current information and to also keep a step ahead, more so for older staff who are thorough with their subjects but feel intimidated by technology. Safety and security of girl students is a huge task but planning ahead helps in achieving the objective.
· School ranked no. 1 in the country for two years in succession by media
· Hockey and basketball teams winners and runners up in all the tournament
· Swimming team in state team
Lavanya Mithran is proud to have alumni like Late Dr J Jayalalitha, Dr. Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, and many more. She concludes, “I am confident that students would go beyond learning algebraic equations and history and would learn and assess themselves, the society that encompasses them and the world as citizens.”
For more information, please visit:
Bishop Cotton Girls’ School
St. Mark’s Road, Field Marshal Cariappa Rd,
Shanthala Nagar, Ashok Nagar,
Bengaluru, Karnataka 560025
Phone: +91 – 80 2221 0268 / 2221 3083